Thursday, May 22, 2014

I Know I'm Not Green Because I Know Who I Am



I Know I’m Not Green Because I Know Who I Am
How often have we accepted another person’s opinion of ourselves?  Or, how many times have we succumbed to another,s actions against us and taken on the guilt of their misdeeds?
I have certainly been among the group of us who has internalized another's words or actions and have even dragged these memories through the remnants of war with me for decades.
How has this practice contributed to my lack of esteem or the manner in which I diminish my Self?  More to the point, how have I colluded with others to rob myself of Self-love, love of others and acknowledgement of the True Love of my Source?
Recently when I was trying to explain this habit of accepting others perceived opinions of ourselves, I used this example: “If someone told you that you were green, would you readily accept it or knowingly smile and say, ‘You may believe that I’m green but I’m not buying it because I know that it’s not true and that’s not what I am.  I am not green.’”  I used this illustration because of how obviously ludicrous it is.
We’d disregard this person’s assessment of ourselves because deep within our hearts we’d know the truth.  And furthermore, without hesitation and without verbally attacking the other, we’d simply state our internalized truth.
So why then, when we perceive that someone has cast dispersions our way or physically assaulted us, do we accept their words or actions as an indictment of our Self, take it all in and internalize the words or actions and the guilt as part of who we are?
When we know the truth of who we are, when we know that we are One with God, we know that we are not green.  Or stated another way, If God is Love and we are One with God, then we are Love.  If A=B and B=C, then A=C.
No one.  No how.  Nothing can hurt God.  Therefore: No one.  No how.  Nothing can hurt us. Our true essence is the Light of God.  Our identity is not our bodies, nor is it even our brains or our intelligence.  Our true identity is the frequency that radiates equally between God, other souls and our Self.  Our Oneness.
One of my favorite movies is Moonstruck.  Each of the characters has their words of wisdom to share with us if we truly listen. Such a moral precept was stated by, Rose Castorini, played by Olympia Dukakis.  On a cold winter evening Rose was being walked home by Perry, a younger gentleman, she had met at her favorite Italian restaurant.  As Perry stands shivering outside Rose’s big house in Brooklyn, he asks her to invite him in.  Rose declines. 
“You won’t ask me in because you’re married?” asks Perry.
“I’m not going to invite you in.  Not because I’m married, but because I know who I am.”

I know I’m not green because I know who I am.
Top photo taken by Barb Adams (c)

No comments:

Post a Comment