Saturday, July 19, 2014

I Challenge You to Peace

 

 As a junior high teacher (then an administrator at that same school, and later at the new middle school) I was asked to address the student body and our teachers. 

Please click on the link below to my YouTube video of a return visit to that speech and then come back and finish reading this post.

YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYTstuj6ICw&list=UUHy9qpzFLC819m7VJnuXrRQ


That was then.  

What would I change in that address if I were to speak to students now? 

Well, first of all keep in mind that I worked at a public school. So I would make no mention of spiritual beliefs. Morality, yes.  Character, yes.  Use the words Spirit, God, Source, Holy Spirit, Master?  I couldn't.  And I wouldn't out of respect for, and belief in the Separation of Church and State. 

So, taking into account my parameters, I think I came close then to what I have come to remember now. If I were given the honor to speak to a group outside of public school, I would likely replace certain words and phrases. In place of "Look into the eyes of the child," I would say, With your spiritual eye look into the heart or soul of that person and see the Christ within them.  

When I said, "We tend to have one of four reactions to someone who is different than ourselves,"  I omitted something from my listing that I would include today: We judge them. And that judgment is really a projection of our fear onto that other person.
We think it's safer that way because then we don't have to own it and try to heal from it.

I said in that address, "We need to look beyond the differences into the alikeness." Today I would say, We need to recognize that we are all one.  One with our Source and one with each other.

When I said, "I believe that human beings crave survival, equality, balance..."  today I would change that to, I believe that all of us crave LOVE. We are either offering love or putting out a call for love.

Then, I said, "I see each of us as a child hidden within our various bodies."  Today, I remember that each of us is one with the Spirit of God merely masked by the illusion of the default-vision from our wrong-mind. Right-minded vision sees only truth, oneness, love and joy.

I did score a "BINGO!"  I hit it on the head with identifying fear as the motivator for committing unloving acts. 

So, after having watched my video and read the changes that I would make. I invite you to let me know by your comments what you would change.  See if you think that the presentation that I made in the late 1990s is something that would lead junior high students and teachers to at least think about moving from fear to love.


Photos by Barb Adams (c)

No comments:

Post a Comment