Sunday, June 22, 2014

What is a Miracle?



“What is a miracle?” you ask.  I can only tell you what a miracle is according to A Course in Miracles, which I have been studying now for over three years. And, I can tell you that ACIM has had a profound, positive change on my life. 

Rather than attempt to paraphrase the Course, allow me to share a series of quotes from the Workbook section of the book. Interestingly, when I randomly opened the ACIM book prior to writing this, the title at the top of page 473, Part II asked, “What Is a Miracle?”  That’s how things happen in my life now.  Synchronicity abounds!

I’m going to offer some excerpts that, if you’re not a student of the Course, might make sense.


What is a Miracle? W-PII.13


A miracle is a correction.  It does not create, nor really change at all.  It merely looks on devastation, and reminds the mind that what it sees is false.  1.1-3



A miracle contains the gift of grace, for it is given and received as one.  2.1



Forgiveness is the home of miracles. The eyes of Christ deliver them to all they look upon in mercy and in love.  3.1-2



The miracle is taken first on faith, because it implies and does not understand.  Yet faith will bring its witnesses to show that what it rested on is really there.  And thus the miracle will justify your faith in it, and show it rested on a world more real than what you saw before; a world redeemed from what you thought was there. 4.1-3



Miracles fall like drops of healing rain from Heaven on a dry and dusty world, where starved and thirsty creatures come to die.  Now they have water.  Now the world is green.  And everywhere the signs of life spring up, to show that what is born can never die, for what has life has immortality.  5.1-4



And the passage that caught my eye today that I also want to share with you:


Each lily of forgiveness offers all the world 
the silent miracle of love.  
W-PII.13.3.4

Photos by Barb Adams (c)


1 comment:

  1. YES!!! And The Course's early WORKBOOK lessons also make these miracles possible as they remind me that my thoughts are NOT REAL....my thoughts about whomever, whatever incenses or enrages me, especially. When I sit with the e-motion of RAGE or FURY or CONDEMNATION/ATTACK...it looks pretty silly after awhile, especially when I consider that it hurts me more than anyone else. Thank you for the reminder that the palpable, visceral shift in perception/conception is a Miracle of Atonement. Peace be with you, my friend. Karen

    ReplyDelete